This was named after the Lusignan monks that lived in Panyia of Hortanion, a nearby monastery and they were called Fremenors.  As the Cypriot author Nearchos Klerides mentions in his book “Villages and Cities of Cyprus”, the monks could not support themselves and in 1468 they turned to Jacob, the Lusignan King of Cyprus who gave them a substantial sum of money.

The village of Frenaros has its own Byzantine churches. Two of them, the Agios Andronikos and the Archangelos Michael date back to the 12th century and the church of Ayia Marina has some interesting frescoes.